Guidance Counseling Department
Cura personalis. “Care for the whole person.” These words are fundamental to the Jesuit tradition and Ignatian values. They also define the work of the Rockhurst High School Counseling Department. The high school years are challenging for every student — academically, personally and socially. That’s why every Rockhurst student is assigned a Guidance Counselor to help him through the entire path.
A Guidance Counselor will help each student develop:
- Self-knowledge in an educational setting through an understanding of his abilities, limitations and motivations
- A joy of learning through a process of learning how to learn
- An education path that is consistent with his abilities and interests
Working with his personal Guidance Counselor, each student can:
- Develop and understand the Ignatian attitudes, values and behaviors needed to function productively in a community (family, church, school, city, etc.)
- Build self-esteem and a commitment to the dignity of persons
From Start to Finish
The four-year guidance counseling agenda includes:
- Freshmen year: Helping the student develop useful study habits and adjust to the demands of a rigorous college preparatory curriculum
- Sophomore year: Focusing on a student's growth and the development of interpersonal skills
- Junior year: Developing the student’s college plans, career awareness and a sophistication about the world of work
- Senior year: Along with guidance counseling, specialized assistance from a College Placement Counselor throughout the college admissions and financial aid process
The Rockhurst High School Counseling Department strives to build and strengthen supportive relationships with students, parents, teachers, administrators and the community at large. Our sole purpose is assisting students through the Jesuit College Preparatory Program and their growth as competent, conscientious and compassionate young men.
Counseling Department Office
- Office Hours: School days, 7:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Individual counselors are available at additional times (call for specifics)
- Call 816-363-2036 and one of the extensions below, click fo an email address, or sign in on an individual counselor’s appointment sheet in the Counseling Office lobby.
Eric Berg, Ext. 152
Carol Dougherty, Ext. 151
Kim Brown, Ext. 515
Tessa Fisher, Ext.155
Kevin McAdam, Ext. 233